BACKGROUND





Monday, April 27, 2009

I need surgery....

Alright, sorry I haven't posted with the results of this cycle but I wanted to wait until we had our follow up with our RE last Thursday. The result was negative, again. Even with all the eggs. We just thought this was it and was devastated to find out, God once again has a different plan. Due to having 3 failed cycle, my RE wanted to meet and reevaluated what we were doing. He provided us with three options:

1) Continue to a new medicated cycle called mega-stem. We just got done with a mini-stem, the difference would be we would max out the dosage for the fertility medicine. He said that if I was overstimulated like I was this time, I could then transfer to a IVF cycle which is only about $4000 versus the $9000-$12000 of a regular IVF.

2) He believes that the reason for the failed cycle is an underlying issue. Based on my ultrasounds and the scar tissue he sees with NO past surgeries, he believes that I have endometriosis. So, he wants to do surgery and remove everything plus get a closer look of my ovaries and uteries. This was about a week recovery, it is laposcopic so he would go through my belly button and make 3 small incisions in my lower belly.

3) Next cycle we would just do an IVF, this is really not an option for us. Main reason we are not ready to give up, which is what I feel we would be doing by doing an IVF. The other reason is the cost. Our insurance will pay for 3 more medicated/IUI cycles and we would like to exhaust those first. Don't get me wrong, we still our paying allot out of pockets for copays and the medicine that the insurance doesn't pay for but we just aren't ready.

So, we have concluded that it would be best do go on with the surgery instead of waiting on another failed cycle and having only 2 more paid cycles afterwards. This way, we will have 3 more after the surgery. They are suppose to call today to schedule it and I will have to make arrangements with work. They would like to do it as soon as possible that way when I heal they can go directly into a new cycle due to the increased fertility rate. We are extremely lucky though because my RE, who I absolutely love, is one of the ONLY Dr. that can cut out the endometrosis versus the traditional burning. When you burn it off, it has the potential of returning versus the method he chooses. So, really excited about that.

No comments: